My first "Period" paintings in the SCA.

 




As I began to get involved in the SCA, Mary in particular urged me to participate by offering to do Award Scrolls.  I was initially reluctant to do this until I had done some work to get a feel for a period style.  At a local "Arts and Science" gathering (my first such event), I took some acrylic paints (as these were all I had), borrowed a book from the person hosting the event, and copied a manuscript painting of St Columba on a sea journey from a twelfth-century copy of Bede's "Life of St Columba".  After that I did two more from the same book.  They are straight copies, but I still enjoy them... unlike almost all my subsequent work, which was created to be given away, I still have them framed on my wall.  It was enough to get the juices flowing.  I think this was the beginning of 2016.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long-awaited Laurel Scroll

Illuminated Poem: Ranulf, Earl of Chester

Winter Poem for Yule Ball