Pelican Scroll for a scientist

 


The Pelican is the highest award for service in the SCA.  The recipient of this award is particularly interested in promoting the sciences within the society, and one of her (many) interests is codes.  I knew from the outset I wanted to produce a scroll in the style of Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks.  Many of these included anatomical drawings, particularly of winged animals.  As both the Pelican symbol itself and the recipients arms include winged animals, I decided to portray these as anatomical drawings, and do the text in Leonardo's hallmark "mirror" writing.

To my amusement and pleasure, the herald reading out the scroll did so not from the typed transcript which I had provided, but by using a mirror to read from the scroll in court!




If Facebook "likes" and comments are the measure of such things, this scroll has proved to be my most popular ever, rather to my surprise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long-awaited Laurel Scroll

Illuminated Poem: Ranulf, Earl of Chester

Winter Poem for Yule Ball